RUDGWICK REMEMBERS
A SUSSEX VILLAGE'S TRIBUTE TO ITS FALLEN OF TWO WORLD WARS
Home Roll of Honour Additional Information
This site commemorates the men and women of Rudgwick who lost their lives in, or as a result of, the two world conflicts in the twentieth century.


THE PARISH OF RUDGWICK lies on the Sussex/Surrey border, seven miles west of the market town of Horsham. To the south of the parish lies the Wealden town of Billingshurst and to the north, over the Surrey Hills and North Downs lie Guildford and Dorking. The main part of the village straddles an east/west ridge north of the river Arun and the main Horsham-Guildford road (now known as the A281).
Within the parish lie the settlement areas of Bucks Green and Tismans Common (to the south west), Haven (to the south), Lynwick Street (to the west) and Cox Green (to the north).
At the start of the 20th Century the village benefited from a railway station on the Guildford to Horsham branch of the London, Brighton and South Coast railway. The parish was served by the church of the Holy Trinity, a Congregational Chapel (erected in 1860) and St John’s Chapel, Tismans Common (erected 1913). On the High Street sits the Jubilee Hall which had been erected in 1897 to commemorate the reign of Queen Victoria.










In 1911 the population of the parish was recorded by census as 1,246, served by two Public Elementary Schools; Rudgwick (built in 1880, mixed, with 132 children on the books in 1913) and The Haven (built in 1862, mixed, with 107 children on the books in 1913).
Employment was predominantly agricultural and the village benefited from water mills on the River Arun to the south of the village. Historically the area was key in the iron and brick making industries.

The Rudgwick Village War Memorials commemorate 34 members of the parish who lost their lives in the First World War and 25 members of the parish who lost their lives in the Second World War.
This site includes research kindly provided by Mr Geoff Turberville Smith, who initiated an annual remembrance display in The Holy Trinity Church, Rudgwick, entitled ‘Rudgwick Remembers’.
Any further information or photographs of any Rudgwick resident mentioned on this site would be gratefully received.

Rudgwick circa 1907 Village War Memorials